Reflections on Alma 22:15

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

3 Nephi 12:19


3 Nephi 12:19
And behold, I have given you the law and the commandments of my Father, that ye shall believe in me, and that ye shall repent of your sins, and come unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit.

Repentance is key to discipleship but there is often confusion about it.  There is a verse in the Doctrine and Covenants that describes how to tell if someone else has repented ("By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them.")  But there are often questions about how to live repentance, or do repentance, or tell whether or not we have really done so ourselves.

Take these four ficticious case studies of members of the church who have those questions:  Bob, Bertha, Phil and Phyllis

Bob:   Bob says: I looked at inappropriate materials on the internet a lot.  I stopped.  Have I repented?

Bertha:  Bertha says: I'm 19 years old. I stole chips and salsa every day for lunch from Walmart.  One day I realized that what I was doing was wrong.  I felt intensely sorry.  I looked at myself and thought, “You're a thief!”  I went to the store manager and confessed everything.  I even went to the bishop and confessed everything.  I'm working late nights now at Walmart to pay off and make restitution for what I stole.  I have resolved never to do it again, and in fact to this day I have never again stolen anything from any store anywhere.  I still enjoy drinking with my boyfriend every weekend, but I have never stolen anything again.  Have I repented?

Phil: Phil says: I'm 20 years old and I love the Lord with all my heart.  However,  I am sure I did some wrong things that I can't remember when I was much younger.  And so there are some sins in my life that I have never confessed.  And I've never made restitution for them because I can't remember them.  Have I repented?

Phyllis: Phyllis says: I am trying with everything I have to live the gospel of Jesus Christ and align my daily life with His will.  But every single day I slip up and do something wrong somewhere.  I just hate that.  Have I repented? [1]

What do you think?


F. Burton Howard wrote:  “Repentance means work.  It is not just stopping doing something.  It is not just recognizing the wrong or knowing what should be done.  It is not only remorse.”[2]

Theodore Burton, trying to describe what repentance is NOT said: 
“...suffering is not repentance. ...
punishment is not repentance. Punishment follows disobedience and precedes repentance.... 
“confession is not repentance. Confession is an admission of guilt that occurs as repentance begins.
 ...remorse is not repentance.  
Suffering, punishment, confession, remorse, and sorrow may sometimes accompany repentance, but they are not repentance. What, then, is repentance?”[3]

To try to answer that question it is instructive to watch the meanings and origins of that word, “repent” as it is used in the Old and the New Testament.

The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew, and one of the most common words translated as “repent” is “shuv”.   It means to turn, return, turn around or turn back from.  For example, in Ezekiel 33:8-11 it is translated as “turn from”.

“When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
“Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it [shube it-turn back from it]; if he do not turn from his way [shuv his way-return back from his way], he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.
“Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but [He has pleasure when]... the wicked turn from his way [shuv his way-turn back from his way] and live.”

The Lord has pleasure in our turning back from our wickedness, turning back to Him.. …
That is the message of the Old Testament. Prophet after prophet writes of shuv—that turning back to the Lord, where we can be received with joy and rejoicing.

The concept of shuv is also found in the New Testament, which was written in Greek. When Jesus and his apostles said “repent,” His disciples recorded that command in the Greek language with the verb metanoeo. This powerful word has great significance. In this word, the prefix meta means “change.” The suffix relates to four important Greek terms: nous, meaning “the mind”; gnosis, meaning “knowledge”; pneuma, meaning “spirit”; and pnoe, meaning “breath.”

Thus, when Jesus said “repent,” in the New Testament He was saying “change” In the context in which meta- and -neoeo are used in the New Testament, the word metaneoeo means a change of mind, spirit, and thought, a turning back to the Lord that changes our understanding, focus and priorities.

Confusion came, however, when the New Testament was translated from Greek into Latin. Here an unfortunate choice was made in translation; the Greek word metaneoeo was translated into the Latin word poenitere. The Latin root poen in that word is the same root found in our English words punish, penance, penitent, and repentance. The beautiful meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words was thus changed in Latin to a meaning that involved suffering, and punishing.  It is no small wonder, then, that many people anticipate that repentance, is, by its very nature, painful, rather unsettling and scary

But the original meaning of repentance is not that we be punished and suffer (though suffering does, eventually, always naturally accompany sin whether we repent or not), but rather repentance means turning back, towards God, and changing who we are. 

Moroni 7:34
34 And he hath said:  Repent all ye ends of the earth and come unto me,  and be baptized in my name, and have faith in me, that ye may be saved.

Return, turn back, change your mind and spirit to reflect the love and will of God. “Come unto me”.

Repentance (Shuv, Mentanoeo) is returning to God, it is changing what we love best, where we are, what we long for, what we hope to be, what we strive to achieve, the very nature of what we are transformed, with  a real desire that our will and understanding reflect the will and nature of God:  it is changing so that our heart comes to love what He loves and our thoughts and actions reflect what he teaches.

As it says in the Doctrine and Covenants section 64, verse 34, what does the Lord require of us as we come to Him?:
 34 Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind;   That's a repentant heart and mind.

It's good to note that the verse just before that is the one that says

Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.   

Thus we begin to realize that repentance, the transformation of our heart and mind, is not a one sin at a time series of mini and major projects but is, instead, a conscious, ongoing, bit by bit, lifelong, daily way of living. 
……..

3 Nephi 12:19
19 And behold, I have given you the law and the commandments of my Father, that ye shall believe in me, and that ye shall repent of your sins, and come unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit.

In  modern usage a “broken heart” is often understood to be a sorrowful or pain-filled heart.  But there is another meaning to the word “broken”  that I believe is being used here. It is the meaning used in the phrase “a horse that is broken”.  A broken horse is a horse that you have worked well and patiently and firmly with  over a period of time, and which eventually learns how to work WITH you, rather than against you, often (though rarely perfectly) conforming its will to yours. 

And that is how God works with us; well, patiently, and firmly, over time, teaching us the good and wise ways of conforming our will to his as we turn  more fully back to Him repenting,.  And our hearts are, by his grace and love, “broken” and instructed on how to work WITH Him as a “broken” horse works with his owner.

Repentance is often described as steps.  An Elder Critchlow came up with the seven “R”s of repentance in a General Conference talk in 1962[4].  You may be familiar with those.  The Primary manual I taught from lists four steps.  A recently published Young Women manual lists nine.  The Gospel Principles manual lists seven principles, not steps, and then, asks this question:  “How do the principles in this section differ from the false idea that repentance is the performance of a list of simple steps….?”

And the fact is, repentance is not a series of steps, nor is it a process of meticulously removing one sin at a time (though our focus on eliminating a particular sin from our lives may be particularly on our mind), but rather it is a mighty and ongoing change of who we are, aligning our will with God's will and loving what He loves.  It is a way of life, a way of being, every day.

And, I believe, as repentance becomes a way of life, forgiveness becomes a fact of life.

We often approach the realm of repentance with embarrassment, fear or pain, but in essence, as we understand better the nature of the repentance we are called to do, we begin to see, as was mentioned in last October's General Conference[5]  that God's instruction to repent is actually

an invitation to  

“Embrace the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the process of repentance as things that are to be welcomed and applied daily...
[An invitation to] Establish an attitude of ongoing...joyful, repentance by making it our lifestyle of choice. ..
[An invitation to] Keep [our] eyes on the Savior, care more about what He thinks of [us than what others do] and let the consequences follow...
[and an invitation to] Voluntarily and ultimately joyfully repent of sins, both small and great, in real time,”[6]   as we seek to come to Him, and, with his grace, change our essence, and align our will and love with His.



[1]  Case studies adapted from a presentation, “The Restored Doctrine of Repentance”, given by Mark Elbert Eastmond at a Church Education System Conference
[2] F. Burton Howard, “Repentance”, General Conference, April 1983

[3] Theodore M. Burton, “The Meaning of Repentance”, Ensign, August 1988

[4] http://scriptures.byu.edu/gettalk.php?ID=1188
[5] Jorg Klebingat, “Approaching the Throne of God with Confidence”, General Conference, October 2014
[6] ibid. 

Followers

About Me

I publish blogs for four reasons. One is to disseminate family history stories. One is to share photos with family far away. One is to keep track of links to ideas that I find compelling. And the last is to have a place where I can sort out, in writing, some of the things that I'm mulling or learning. The last is, by it's nature, a work in progress. ~MB